Thread: Just joined
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.55 MB
Just joined

I'm looking to start paper modelling in addition to working with wood. I focus on ship models, particularly small coastal and river craft.

At the moment I'm looking at the variety of free plans and instructions available just to get a feel of working with the medium.

I did experiment with a card model of St Vitus Cathedral which was given to me as a gift from a relative in Prague and although I completed it I wasn't that pleased with the result. However, a neighbour who saw it expressed such interest that I gave it to him.

I have always found it interesting that people who don't make models are delighted with even the most basic efforts and don't see much of a difference between the most complex and detailed against the simplest. In fact my most successful model has been a basic cutter made from a walnut shell which delighted the grandchildren, especially when it could sail in the sink!

So I'm learning to have a mix of the personally pleasurable with the models that will give pleasure and interest to others, as well as perhaps giving them an interest in making models from anything to hand.

Tony