View Single Post

Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
SMS Baden, 1916, HMV 1/250

Since it appears I’ll be fated to wait until the END OF TIME for my Modelkasten rigging wire to finish SMS Emden, I decided to start my SMS Baden build.

This ship is a bit more ambitious than Emden, something like 5000 pieces with the laser cut set.

Not much to be said about what I’ve accomplished other than adding torsion stiffeners to the hull interior to prevent warping and add some stability. HMV makes a nice kit but boy their hull form structure is quite light. I doubled every single stringer too, and it was still wiggly.

I’m also trying a new glue, an archival scrapbooking glue called Zip Dry. I had some warping issues with Emden and that hull has about 1/3 the volume of this ship, so to mitigate I’m using a non-water based glue. It works well, to my mind at least and the hull is arrow straight and true. However, usual the usual disclaimer applies: I am a self-realized high-functioning idiot. I have had no joints fail, but it doesn’t seem to be as strong as PVA. That said, I’ll take less bonding power of warping at this stage. The superstructure and details will be constructed with PVA though.

So, shall we begin?