View Single Post

Old 01-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Wing roots + engine connection

This is the second problem I've encountered: the wingroots are too short, and the piece connecting the engines to the hull is too narrow.

(The model builder in the assembly video also acknowledges this, when he tries to add the engine intake to the engine, and it is clearly too close to the ball turret)

To be fair on the template's author, it is hard to tell that there actually is a connecting piece in the first place, because the finished model is very busy in that section, with lots of detail on top, and the landing pad boxes at the bottom. A direct front view doesn't show it either, because the ball turrets are in the way. Luckily this model is infamous in that it is one of the harder Forgeworld models to put together, requiring a lot of straightening of parts, so there is a bunch of assembly howto's posted on the web, showing the model in various stages of construction.

Nevertheless, here is a photo of the kit's naked hull. Note the width of the engine connector as marked:

Next, compare these screen shots from the model's assembly video, which show that although there is a piece (labeled 6-1 on the template), it is not stated that this piece has any appreciable thickness, so when the model is put together, there is almost no separation between the engine and the main hull.

This also means that the engine tucks under the wingroot, whereas on the original model the engine clearly sticks out from underneath the wingroot. The wingroot is also clearly too short / narrow.

To fix this I've taken the wingroot template and stretched the leading edge a tad. This gives a but more clearance (in width as well as length) between the engine intake and the eventual ball turret.

It may be a tad too much, so I'll see how I go.

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com