View Single Post

Old 01-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp View Post
I am new to paper modelling. I usually build RC aircraft giant and micro.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is being used to make the structural components of the cockpit thicker? It looks like the paper is "sandwiching" a thicker material in the middle.

Again please excuse my ignorance of the craft.

Thank you
Don W
Welcome to the hobby, Don, and we all started out clueless about cardmodeling, so you're in good company.

It appears the kit pieces have been laminated to cereal box cardboard (or something similar) as Burning Beard mentioned. Kit pieces can also be laminated to other cardstock or multiple layers of cardstock or cardboard.

Many of us keep stacks of cardboard we've scavenged from cereal boxes (and not all cereal boxes are created equal...) and any other piece of cardboard we come across that looks like it could serve a function at some point. My wife long ago grew accustomed to the look I get on my face when I'm closely examining a piece of cardboard to see if it'll be usable.

I will say I've come across cereal made by an Australian company called Carman's that comes in a box that seems a hair sturdier than the average General Mills or Kellogg's box.