View Single Post

Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
MM model contest - Western Queen

After considerable self-debate, I've decided to give another try at a build thread. A project that has long been sitting on a back burner is the MM 1972 kit of the Western Queen. As usual for a kit of this vintage, the quality of the original kit is poor, and requires a total redraw to make it worth building. So far I have a grand total of one part (the main deck) redrawn, so this will take a bit. I am using Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, and Image Forge to do the redraw. First step was to make a folder of the individual parts images, using Photoshop for cutting and pasting. Second step is to use PSP to straighten the images. Third, use Photoshop to reduce the image to an outline drawing. Fourth, use Image Forge to overdraw the outline image in a color not otherwise used in the model (and easily seen against the original outline color). Fifth, go back into photoshop and eliminate the original outline, leaving just the pixels of my overdraw. Finally, back into Image Forge to recolor the outline.

Doing a complete redraw gives the freedom to choose one's own preference in the way of colors. I'm not all that sure yet what I like best regarding the deck color. I've been trying to capture either a walnut color or an oak color. I'm leaning toward trying for the honey-amber oak color, but don't have the RGB settings quite right. If anyone has a set of RGB "coordinates" for that particular shade, please let me know so I can give them a try.
MM model contest - Western Queen-1.jpg

MM model contest - Western Queen-2.jpg

MM model contest - Western Queen-3.jpg