View Single Post

Old 01-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
very solid hull. it does look like it's ready for internal details. My era is WW2 but these older dreadnaught era ships are very elegant. great work.
Thanks!

While Bismarck wasn’t just an updated Baden, the Germans did reference her to some degree. With Baden we see the zenith of the German ship of the line, so while WWI may not be your era, I’m sure you’ll be interested in her. The Germans are an interesting study since they were forced to take a 15 year battleship hiatus. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau turned out okay-ish for what they were, Bismarck and Tirpitz were inefficient designs with critical areas remaining unprotected with their upgraded WWI era armor schemes. I think, if in a strange alternative universe, the Germans hadn’t taken that time off, we’d see ships of similar size to that of the Italian Littorio class.

I’m not disregarding these ships since at the time they were laid down, there was no crystal ball predicting the future, and the Germans knew they were re-learning. Nor am I saying the Bismarck class was awful, far from it, but they weren’t as good as they could have been for the money.

In naval design there are so many “if only” scenarios. Imagine the Littorio class, for instance, with good quality control with regard to their shells, and radar. They’d have been monsters.

I don’t like to get into the weeds on details myself, the fog of war quickly makes ALL of these talking points moot in an instance. If you need an example, HMS Hood. It’s more about the stories for me. I like building models of these early Dreadnoughts because in their time, no weapon was more powerful, and they looked the business.

Just plain fun to see how these designs evolved over time in my opinion.