View Single Post

Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I’ve finished the starboard casemates and casemate guns, and having dry-fit everything, I’m pretty pleased that it all fit together and aligned more or less exactly how I’d planned. The photos below show the starboard casemates glues in place but the decks above aren’t fixed yet as I still have to build the port side. So if you see any goofy gaps, well that’s why.

To answer your questions Paperclip, the Zip-Dry flue is available online or from Jo-Ann in the US. It works well for hulls with lots of joints, as the glue isn’t terribly strong but something with a lot of torsion supports is going to be rock solid with all of those joints. Strength in numbers so to speak. The goal was ZERO warping and it delivered. I had to compromise strength, but it was worth it for me.

As for doubling the decks, formers, and stringers; the key is not to compromise the external dimensions, so always build inward and downward. The compensate for the deck, it was a matter of cutting the alignment slots just that much larger. Just adds another level of thinking.