View Single Post

Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Assembly of the fuselage

Thanks again for your response Gary, Consistseeker, MichaelS (eh...., I'm turning 55 this year; not exactly a young fella anymore ), Ricardo (see the remark on the tabs below), rmks2000 and Isaac (don't worry, cockpit will be open). Well appreciated!

The assembly of the fuselage is next. Correct placement of the cockpit area skins is crucial, so I started with gluing the aft section to the cockpit. Both formers must be glued back to back. The gluing tabs on the front side of the fuselage aft section are not used at this stage; the bottom ones will be used for the wings section and the upper ones for closing of the fuselage top just behind the cockpit, as can be seen in the last pictures.

There’s a bit of overlap between this part and the fuselage, which I deliberately left (perhaps it was intended in the design of the model?), as it perfectly creates the rail by which the canopy was opened and closed. In any case it’s not really relevant as the “rail” will be concealed later on by the canopy in open position.

Then come the cockpit skins, which go “butt to butt”. Here and there I placed small paper wedges to ensure that the mating skin parts flush with each other. As you can see on the right side of the fuselage I cut out the entrance “door”, which will be placed in open position, later during the build.

Finally, the front section of the fuselage.

When placing the various fuselage parts I tried to be as accurate as possible and up so far this approach has paid off. All parts fit perfectly and slowly the Hurricane takes shape!

Note that some of the pictures were taken at night with artificial light, explaining the color differences with the more natural daylight tones.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9371.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9373.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9374.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9375.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9376.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9381.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9382.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9378.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9379.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9380.jpg