View Single Post

Old 01-23-2019, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
You may be able to find it on Bookfinder or Abebooks for less; some prices are really silly but I got mine a couple of weeks ago from an Australian seller on Bookfinder for £32 of which £14 was postage. Don't try and order it from any of the Amazon continental suppliers; I tried with Buecher.de and waited for seven weeks before giving up; they say delivered in 4 weeks but this is not true, the publishers wouldn't give a delivery or reprint date when I rang and e-mailed them.

It is a beautiful book with brilliant artwork and considerable research and indeed binding - the dustjacket is wrapped over on top and sides with an art deco design depicted on the inner faces which is unusual and a sign of considerable attention to detail and quality - but it is greatly diminished in my eyes by the text which is very
strange; at times quite coherent, at others not, such that it's only just possible to guess at what's being said, plus the punctuation and proof reading is really bad.

Such a shame but buy it for the artwork and the fact that it is a lovely book to own; just read it though, with all your wits about you and, for the older reader with a reasonable traditional education in grammar and use of English, try and suppress feelings of frustration and irritation as you come across wrongly placed apostrophes (in some places correct, in others not), misspelt words and frequently oddly worded sentences.