Thread: Fountain pen
View Single Post

Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

And hi, Ckendzierski. You pose an interesting question. If you have tried using a fountain pen for scoring, and it works for you, then keep experimenting. I'm sorry I can't offer you a selection of pens and nibs to try, as I don't have any experience using them as scoring tools. But if you can find a solution, we'd be interested in hearing about it.

However, I think there are a couple of things working against the idea. Firstly, a steel pen nib is by necessity split down the middle to allow the ink to flow from the resorvoir onto the paper. This creates a weakness in the nib making it less resistant to downward pressure. Once too much pressure is applied, and the two halves of the nib have splayed out, it will become useless as both a scoring tool and a writing instrument. For scoring, I myself use a very dull No.11 blade with a very dull and rounded point held in an old aluminum X-Acto handle.

Secondly, having a fountain pen full of ink rolling around in close proximity to my paper model parts sounds like a mess waiting to happen. We try to build our models as cleanly as possible, and a splotch or two of ink in the wrong place could ruin a part, or a whole model.

But again, if it works for you, go with it. I've looked with interest at the tool sets of other paper modelers, and they contain both tools that I don't own, and those I would never have thought of using.

So, to each his own, and best of luck.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog