View Single Post

Old 02-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

after a short detour to the moon in the year of the 50th Anniversary of the first Moon landing by Apollo 11 in our German Raumcon Forum, in order to comment on the events around Paul Van Hoeydonck's unique sculpture "Man in Space", which was laid down on the moon by David Scott during Apollo 15 mission as "Fallen Astronaut" along with a plaque with the fourteen names of astronauts and cosmonauts who have died in the pursuit of Space exploration,

Source: BILD (Ken Glover)

I'm back on track again.

Today I want to start with the preparations for the creation of the wavy SOFI Ring Structure, for which I famously wanted to apply a combined Flour&Strip Method.

Last summer I had first determined the shape and then the geometry of the SOFI Texture and started with first preliminary experiments, s. Reply #1741.

For the starting pattern (left) that time I had glued single rings of 1 mm wide Rai-Ro-Tape next to each other onto my ET dummy and used a magnet strip loop of Evergreen strip 0,25 mm x 0,5 mm as a spacer.

In the meantime, I also got me the required different width masking tapes and thought about some more patterns.

For the 2nd pattern I have successively glued single turns of 0,75 mm tape and in between at the same time as spacer a black 0,5 mm tape as continuous spirals (Barber pole), which was rather tricky,

but has worked well nevertheless.

For the 3rd pattern I've glued Evergreen strips 0,25 mm x 0,75 mm in the same way by using MEK, which are thicker than the used Tape strip (about 0,1 mm).

Before the Flour test, the spacer tapes (0,5 mm) are removed again.

For the 4th pattern I have glued onto the 0,75 mm tape one more layer 0,5 mm tape, to get something more thickness, and for the 5th pattern I have cut some 0,75 mm wide strips of Evergreen Sheet Styrene (0,1 mm) and glued them also by using MEK with 0,5 mm spacing.

Next up follows the Flour test by using spray glue, which I am very curious about.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 02-11-2019 at 02:07 AM.