View Single Post

Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Normally I would design the chassis/frame first and then build the body on top of it,
but I've been tossing around various ideas of interior, the floor pan, and exactly how the body will sit on the chassis.

I've settled on my original plan of no interior.
The interior in the vehicle is extremely basic and not really worth the effort for me.
It forces me to redesign the structural components and the body assembly.
Plus it changes my plan to design a simpler 1/24 scale model.

Having an interior also means the option of opening doors and windows...
and that means building an internal structure that supports door frames, etc.
The actual vehicle literally has no "interior" other than some small jump seats.

The body is a skeleton framework of 1"x1" square tubing.
1/24 is too small to replicate the tubing cage...and the scale thickness of the body "skin" is less than 2 sheets of cardstock!

I would literally have to start at square one again to modify what I have (for the body) to accommodate the interior.
Nope, I'm sticking with window artwork and less complicated build design.

I tried to get away from a "former" structure and use cardstock "boxes" and forms,
but I came back to the flat interlocking former idea, which seemed like the simplest and most effective structure.
It does require laminating some stiffer card (to 1mm thickness)...but you only have to cut out 4 parts.
(Note: I have since added two more simple panels to this construction...no tabs or slots!)

I need a full floor pan so the body is complete when viewed from the underside.
On the underside I will attach the printed part which will be the visible side of the floor plan.
I can add surface details, weathering etc at a later date.

This is the part that will require some pre-assembly, to install the visible rear wheel wells and other boxed areas.

This is the second try at fitting a floor pan...after tweaking the sizes and fit of everything, this one fits into the body nicely.
I'll add a few glue tabs to help the alignment of the wheels wells and the front of the floor pan.

Next up, I am going to try to figure out the front fenders...
they are quite a lot more complicated that what is on the Morris Quad (short, curved, flat plates).
I wish I was modeling the Morris at this point!
The Ford fenders are much longer and larger, and have rolled edges and side panels.
I'll have to simplify them for paper model construction, but the design is going to be a challenge.

Last edited by airdave; 02-24-2019 at 08:31 AM.