View Single Post

Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 MB
Engine + wing construction

Started putting together the wings and engine mounts.

The engine mounts are pretty hefty, since they have to carry the engines, engine intakes, engine exhausts, wings, the vtol engines at the wingtips and the missiles that hang underneath the wings.

Here are the engines mounted (with the wing spars only) to check for symmetry and alignment. All good so far.

I've done a single wing prototype before. Learning from that I went ahead with the wings.

The wings have a nice pattern to them, with an opportunity for putting in some panel lining. So I designed the internal support out of thick chipboard to make space for the wing spars, as well as the cut-out ailerons (or are they flaperons? They are pretty close to the inside of the wing).

The internal support is sandwhiched between two outer layers of cereal board. These have cutouts for the ailerons.

The ailerons also have an internal support structure to match.

I kept the "feathers" at the back of the wings, which I had previously put into the prototype wing. I like the look of these.

The wings + ailerons are then assembled using a hinge made from some plastic tube with internal wire, allowing them to move:

https://www.vigilantesculpting.com