View Single Post

Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.26 MB
question about paper model softwares

I've been using photoshop for my entry into the hobby since its a program I'm familiar with (been using various versions of it ever since the mid 90s).

I've noticed though a few people mentioning graphic softwares that are made specifically for the purpose of model making and have a few questions for those familiar with them:

- are they targeted mainly at people without access to layer-based softwares or do they offer advantages over programs like photoshop or GIMP ? I assume they are simpler to use but I'm wondering if for example they have automated placement of parts to minimise the number of pages to print.

- are projects based on template (building, plane, etc...) or are they more free-form in orientation ?

- How customisable are they ? for example, can you add your own textures and assets ? If it is possible to add textures and assets of your own, what file types are most commonly used ?

- Finally, do the terms of services of these softwares put limits on what you can do with the models you created ? For example, limits on selling or even distributing for free models that were made using any of their textures or assets.

Thanks for any input.