View Single Post

Old 03-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The only program I can think of, created solely for the paper crafting hobby, is Pepakura.
But it isn't a "creation" software...you don't create 3D or papermodels with it.
Its used mainly for unfolding 3D CAD designs into printable paper models.

If you are familiar with photoshop as your "draw" software, then thats what you should use for your "creation" artwork.
You can also use that for fills, colouring, graphics, textures, etc
As well as Instructions diagrams, model sheets, final model packages...

I already worked in Corel (CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint), so thats what I use for my creation and design.

There are many who design in 3D and use CAD based programs like Rhino and Sketchup.

Many only use what they can afford.

Many "old timers" design with paper pencil and scratchbuilding...then convert their drawings to artwork or to vector art in a digital program.
Again, using what they are familiar with, or what they can afford.

I use more than one software for different things...I'm sure most designers do.

Yes...some software limits or restricts usage to commercial and non-commercial applications.
But I'm sure we can argue what parts of paper modeling are commercial or not.
Actually selling something for money doesn't necessarily denote whether something is commercial or not.
Because I do produce some intended for retail products, I use a fully licensed version of Corel Graphics.
Because 90% of my work is with Corel, I don't want any issues in that area.

There are other factors to consider.
Much of it is like piracy...you know the answer (whether you admit it or not) and its up to you to choose the right, fair and moral approach.