View Single Post

Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200

For anyone that participates in this section of the Forum, the Wroclaw Cathedral is a well-known subject: Thomas has shown the assembly of this great GPM kit.
So, what is the interest of another construction thread about this subject? First, why not? The kit is so ambitious that a second build is hardly too much. Second, because I don’t intend to use the transparencies and the laser cut frames that go along with them. I confess that it was a hard choice. The transparencies/frames worked well in the Krakow Cathedral but not so well in the Lodz Cathedral. Both are 1/200 GPM kits and I have shown them already.
The fact is that, despite being at the same scale, from the same stable and published at roughly at the same time, the kits are conceived differently. Design and assembly methods are not the same. While in Krakow and Lodz, it is easy to open the structure to get the best effects of the transparencies, in Wroclaw, it would be a huge task. While in Krakow, the dark and thin frames blend beautifully into the model, in Lodz, the broader frames don’t work so well, despite the overall light colors. In Wroclaw, the lightly colored frames make a stark contrast to the cathedral’s relatively dark colors. It is a matter of taste, of course. Anyway, Thomas gave us the “with” option. I’ll provide the “without” option.
The building and the many annexes have varied architecture, making for a complex assembly. The kit designer/publisher went for a very ambitious rendering of all that complexity and I can only congratulate them! The result of an awesome work is a kit with 1400 parts printed on 23 colored pages and 16 black and white pages for the structure. As I bought the laser cut frames/detail set, those 16 pages are not needed. The first pictures, as always, show the kit. The Euro cent coin shows how thick the “basic” kit + frames + detail set is! In my view, the kit’s cost is amply justified…
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c001.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c002.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c003.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c004.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c005.jpg  

Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c006.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c007.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c008.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c009.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c010.jpg  

Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c011.jpg