View Single Post

Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
1/16 Scale Ford "Quad" Field Artillery Tractor Design and Build

I decided to start a new thread since this project took a couple of turns.
At first I was going to design and build in a slightly smaller scale (1/24) to reduce the detail and time spent on the project.
It turned to be no less complicated...and in fact, made some parts more difficult to design and build.

I also decided to keep my large scale Vehicle scale theme going with another 1/16 scale project.
This keeps it in scale with my Saladin Armoured Car and Centurion Tank.

I wanted to create a "build walkthrough" type thread...which is what this will be...
but since I am also designing on the fly, there will be some trial and error moments.
If you use this thread as a "build tutorial" make sure you read ahead to verify any part of the construction.

Starting with the Frame, I stylized the Frame Rails, making them a box construction.
The real Frame rails are C Girders.

I also removed the forward narrowing and S-bend of the frame to make it a bit easier to build.

The Rails are separated into two sections, once again to make assembly easier and to combat the twist and deformation during assembly.
This method has proved to be much quicker and more reliable for assembly.
So, first I assemble the straight box tube Rails, the forward angled section of the rails, and the boxed Joiner sections.

(Ignore the markings on these frame rails...this is not the final design.)

Its a very tight fit, but thats what I want!

The seam is a small trade off to keeping the Rail almost perfectly straight and true.

Now, to assemble all the "cross Members"...every one is different!

Each have a front and rear layer, and need to be carefully scored and folded in to shape while gluing.
There are a few holes to be cut, but the smaller holes are black and are (hopefully) not needed for construction.
Its up to you if you wish to cut them out, I didnt.

Here are all the parts, pre frame rail assembly.

Some of the cross members install using small tabs and slots, and don't even need to be glued.
You have to remember to cut the slots on the Frame Rails before assembly.

You could also cut off the tabs and glue everything in place...but i didn't bother gluing any of those tabs.

Both end cross members and center cross member are definitely glued and lock everything together.
The cross members also help square up the frame rails.

I'll show some close up photos of all the cross members in the next post...along with details on all the Frame attachments,
but this is the completed Frame... with all the correct placement of attachments.