View Single Post

Old 03-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I'm having enough trouble figuring out a way to represent the steering linkages in paper!
I did it on my Autocar model...made the linkages two to three times their scale thickness!
But they were already thick linkages.
These are much more lightweight.

At 1/16 scale, brake and fuel lines would be microscopic (almost)!
Biggest/thickest diameter line might be the rubber Brake Flex Hoses near each wheel...(at 1/16 scale) those would be less than 1mm diameter or about 1/32"!!
Too small for me to build!

Thats the type of detail the builder could choose to add themself using wire, etc.
Not really something that can be offered in paper.

But I'm sure much of those details are run inside the Frame Rail channels, and are quite hidden.
Since I have boxed the Rails, it is impossible to place those things now.

I have decided to detail some things because its fun to build up certain areas,
and some things will be partially visible...but not everything on the chassis will be detailed and complete.
Some things will be suggested, but not really there.

I built up two rear Leaf Springs last night.
Took about 2 hours from cutting, scoring, folding of each leaf...
to gluing and final assembly.

As you can see, I manually curved each leaf as it was attached, and the final spring is nicely shaped.
I think with a template, the correct shape can be achieved.

You could also coat the spring in glue to make it hold its shape? (probably a good idea?)

The ends will be tightly curved to fit against the shackles on the frame...and can be trimmed as needed.

At this scale, the folded paper edge is not clean. I tried edge colouring, but its still shows.
If you wish to take the time, maybe the leaves need to be knife cut on both edges.