View Single Post

Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I am delighted to see that you are beginning the magnificent Wroclaw Cathedral. I think it will be great fun for me to re-live my enjoyable constructing of this remarkable model as I follow your posts. Every detail of the model is an almost perfect reproduction of the real church. Have you been to Wroclaw and seen the church?

As I often do, I was able to build the model of Wroclaw Cathedral before visiting it in June 2017. I posted the building of this model on this website and you added your gracious comments several times. You can read about our visit to Wroclaw Cathedral on my webpage at CATHEDRAL QUEST: our quest to experience cathedrals in Europe. The model was very true to the actual church.

You mentioned in your first post on Warclaw Cathedral that the brickwork was dark and that you didn’t care for the contrast of the frames and tracery and were not going to use the them. Actually, the brick work is light red and made up of several different shades and the framing around the windows and the tracery on the windows is a much lighter color of yellow/gold and makes a very distinctive and pleasing appearance. For your information I have attached several photos of the model compared to the actual structure.

You also stated that you were not going to use the stained-glass because of the problem of illuminating them from the inside. I had that thought when I began construction and saw that there would be no completely open space inside that would be available for lighting the entire interior. I don’t know where I got the idea of backing the stained-glass with white paper, but it sure works to illuminate stained-glass. Of the 40+ church models that I have, it is the only one that shows the stained-glass windows, even from a casual glance. I know it is your choice not to use them, but I am sure glad that I did.

You also stated that you were not going to you any of the support pieces that came extra, but I see that you began using it on the first tower. I would urge you to use it on the construction of the main areas of the church as it is rather lengthy and needs that support for the walls and the long roof.

I always enjoy your posts and explanation of your process on paper modelers. I will be checking your progress regularly. I would hope that your model and my model with the visual process of the construction on the web will encourage others to buy and build this beautiful church. It might also encourage some to go visit it in person, which was well worth the trip. We did not have enough time to visit it as I would have liked, since we were on a tour, but what time we had was very meaningful. I really love this model!

I have now finished the Budapest Cathedral and will make my final post tomorrow. I am ready to begin three entirely different models (surprise) that I will begin posting soon.

Keep up the good work. Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-1-dsc02901.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-3-dsc08425.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-2-dsc02902.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-4-dsc08446.jpg