View Single Post

Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you very much for the comments and encouragement, friends
@ - Thomas – My only “visit” to the Wroclaw Cathedral was through Google Street View. It is not the same, of course, but it is instructive. I may not have expressed correctly on some points: my issue with the window frames is that they have a solid color. Being (correctly) light colored but relatively broad at the edges makes them less appealing than the printed parts, which are carefully painted. Again, I stress that it is a matter of taste. So, it is “no” for the window frames but “yes” for the structure frames – I strongly recommended their use in the second post.
The pictures you took and published are great! They show that the real colors are a bit lighter and reddish than in the kit. The difference is noticeable in the two pairs of real/model pictures. The bricks are not as well defined in this kit as they are in the Krakow Cathedral kit. GPM has room for improvement, in this particular point.
Another issue steps in by looking at the “real” pictures: the glass paintings are barely visible from outside, as you took the pictures in broad daylight. I had a very interesting talk with Thomas Pleiner on this subject, in the Lodz thread. Take a look. Your method to show the glass paintings is undoubtedly effective but is it realistic? Maybe not! I’d conclude that it is possible to defend both the “with” and “without” options. The choice is a matter of taste. By the way, it might be possible to make the white paper/transparency/frame sandwiches and apply them later…
@ Erik – If you remember well, I made many changes to the Krakow Cathedral kit and criticized GPM for complicating the modeler’s task. Wroclaw doesn’t seem to be any better in this respect! Anyway, the buildings are so pretty that the kits are worth the extra effort resulting from not having been designed by, say, Thomas Pleiner. The structure frames and the detail set, even when not using it all, are certainly worth the investment.
@ Kriszme – The upper emplacement of my architecture showcase has just the required height. The stated model height is quite similar to the SB’s Koln and Ulmer cathedrals, which are at 1/300. When I decide to assemble the Barcelona’s Sagrada Familia (Domus kit), it will be a problem because the model is slightly taller. It is possible to lower the upper glass shelf (there is an emplacement every 5cm) but the models standing bellow would not be happy…

More floors and more details. Up to this level, the tower’s cross section is almost constant. It will get thinner on the next floors.
Attached Thumbnails
Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c019.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c020.jpg   Wroclaw Cathedral - GPM - 1/200-wroclaw-c021.jpg