View Single Post

Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Working on the main Differentials/Axles right now...

Finished the front Leaf Spring assembly and I decided to attach the Leaf Springs (to the frame)
realizing that the Axle/Spring brackets will have to be fitted to the Springs first.
This way the Axle can be fitted at the correct angle for the drive shafts.

If you fit the bracket to the axle first, it locks the Axle in one position.
You need to be able to rotate the Axle slightly to align the driveshaft angles.

I have one Axle finished, but am rebuilding it due to the spring brackets are already glued in place.

The Springs attached easily, as planned, but not without some issues to sort out.

First, I found that my rear Springs are curved a bit too much.
My "eyeballing" wasn't a good idea...and I have been trying to "uncurve" the spring somewhat.
I plan on including a simple template in the Instructions to help you get the correct shape.

After I glued the springs, to the shackles (on the frame), I put some weight on the frame to compress the springs while the glue cured.
Unfortunately the weight wasn't even, and the frame capsized...dislodging one spring...and bending the shackles.
I had to refit, and reglue.

Second issue I have noticed...more important... is that when the springs are assembled, they tend to lean to one side.

Each leaf in the spring is a scored and folded part.
The fold side is a tad thicker than the exposed, cut side.
And, as the leaves are stacked, in matching order, the spring starts to lean and curve in one direction.

My springs are sloppy sideways like this!
When the Axle is attached, I can pull the springs into alignment...but it isn't the most ideal situation.

Alternating the leaves (180 degrees) during assembly, would combat the twist and lean.
But I'm thinking, better I modify the parts?...forcing the builder to cut both edges of each leaf (during assembly)
and that way, when the Springs are assembled, it won't matter...both sides will be the same cut edges.