View Single Post

Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
3. Does anyone have access to/use the Canon Premium content and is it a factor in this decision?

That depends on if you are into animal models. There are 63 excellent animal models on offer. They cannot be downloaded unless there is a Pixma printer actually switched on and connected to the PC. I don't know if the connection can be via WiFi as my Canon MG2450 does not have WiFi facilities. I bought it as a cheap printer/scanner for use with a secondary PC out in the conservatory, but I was influenced to buy a Canon to get at the Premium models.

This worked out fine, but the low volume ink carts supplied with the printer ran out after printing only 6 models, and a fresh set of Canon cartridges costs a lot more than the printer did. I did try a set of "Compatible" carts at half the price, but they always show as empty and have to be reset every time the printer is switched on. Further investigation online revealed how to refill the original Canon carts and the printer is now running fine on JetTec inks. The colours are not as vibrant as the Canon Pixma inks though. So I saved them all onto a portable hard drive which can then be plugged into my main PC for manipulation and printing via its Brother A3 photo quality printer.

Sorry, but I have no experience using the Ecotank or Megatank systems as I've been a longtime user of The IRIS tank systems. I have always used JetTec inks in these as in bulk it is 80% cheaper than Oem inks. However, I have found that it does fade quite rapidly in sunlight unless the print is protected with varnish. I've not bothered to fit a tank system to the Pixma printer though, as the carts are easily accessed to quickly refill with a hypodermic needle.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-29-2019 at 06:08 PM.