View Single Post

Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
As a long term user of the (much) cheaper inks, I do agree with Cutitout. Most OEM inks ARE far more durable and compatibles do tend to fade quite fast, BUT a coating of a clear sealer can improve this no end. So we tend to go for what our pockets prefer and accept the consequences. Needless to say, this is NOT what the printer manufacturers want. They openly admit that their biggest profits are made selling the ink, so (Much like the recording industry with their DRM attempts) they will continue to put out these protective roadblocks to force us to use their expensive (but admittedly better) inks.

Canon has quite effectively blocked their premium content downloads behind their "Image Garden" software which can only be installed if you have a printer installed that is on their access list. As we are seeing here, not all Canon printers are on this list. I checked the list and bought a cheap MG2450 purely to give me access to these models. It was a while ago now so I can't remember the "Special Offer" price I paid but it was less than £40.

The printer was plugged into my main PC via USB (It has no WiFi or Bluetooth options) and installed along with the "Garden" software. It allowed me to access to the Premium content on the Canon website, and IMHO the contents were way more than worth the cost of the printer.

However, having a large format photo quality printer already set up on my main PC, I don't have the space to leave this extra printer permanently attached as well, so I moved it onto a secondary PC in another room. Thinking that now I had the "Garden" software installed on the main PC that would give me access to download the premium content and I should be able to print to the big printer. No go Joe! The "Garden" software just doesn't work unless there is an "approved" printer plugged in and switched on. No matter, I'll just do the downloads and prints in the other room.

Sounds like a plan, eh? Well it started off OK. Select model ... Download (into Garden) ... Print to paper and repeat. Going great guns until printer runs out of ink after six one page models. Go online through the "Garden" to source new ink from Canon ... HOW MUCH? No way José! That's more than twice what I paid for the printer. So a quick Google brings up some more reasonably priced compatibles on eBay. So take five for a few days.

To be continued??... I do eventually overcome the restrictions but I very much doubt that Canon will want me to tell y'all. So Admin please stop me now if you'd rather not let me put this out there.

Last edited by JohnM; 03-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.