View Single Post

Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The 40mm guns

Thank you PM's! And also thank you for the five star rating, forgot to mention that last time!

Well, a few more things to do before the Hurricane is finished. As said before, the Mark IID version was used in Northern Africa as a tank buster and the aircraft were fitted with 40mm guns underneath the wings.

When comparing actual pictures with those of models built by others I concluded that rolling the paper parts for the guns would result in probably something like 105mm howitzers underneath the wings. So I used 1.2mm dia plastic rods instead and used parts of the paper barrels to provide for the details. Painted the finished barrels with gun metal.

The gun fairings (is that the correct word?) consist of two halves to be curved and then glued together. I used small strips of thin paper to neatly join the two halves, otherwise it would mission almost impossible. At the front side the fit wasn't that good and I glued a small strip of paper over the gap. Likewise on the rear end. Orlik be forgiven.
Also I added a small former inside the fairings to glue the inward protruding gun against - to make the assembly stronger.

Finally glued the fairings over the elliptically shaped formers on the wings. The guns are pointing a bit downwards and slightly inwards. That should be correct I guess, the instructions do not provide much information on that.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9824.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9825.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9837.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9826.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9827.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9828.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9830.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9838.jpg