View Single Post

Old 04-19-2019, 04:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.

Agreed, my designer Cor van Haasteren and I are a bit late for the anniversary of the Berlin Airlift, which lasted from 24 June 1948 60 12 May 1949. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade/ has a very interesting article on that. Very briefly: when the Russians blocked all overland links to West Berlin, the Allies set up an airlift - in 200,000 sorties flew up to 12,941 tons of necessities per day into Tempelhof Airport to support the West Berliners. The DC-4 / C-54 played a very important role.
Also known as the Skymaster, it was the first transatlantic passenger plane. 1163 DC-4's were built between 1942 and 1946; after the war many of those were sold to companies in civil aviation, the KLM among them.

We thought it might be interesting to create a thread here to give builders an impression of all the work that goes into designing a highly detailed top model. Cor has more than earned his stripes with models like the Delta Dagger, the Fokker Friendship, the British Sir Nigel Gresley steam locomotive and many more. With Ecardmodels out of order, download versions can be ordered through my website zeistbouwplaten.nl (bilingual). All models come with extensive sketches and English instructions.

So here goes.
Step 1 - where does the idea start? In this case it was a suggestion from Eduardo Barriga Caro, a former contributor to this forum. So I started trying to find pictures, drawings, general information, and getting Cor interested in the idea.
As so often, finding suitable drawings was very difficult. Just one example here, more in a next edition of this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-600px-c-54landingattemplehof.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-featured_dc-4-768x510.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-airplane-douglas-dc-4-over-tempelhof-airport.jpg   Douglas DC-4 / C-54 for Paper Trade: Berlin Airlift.-dc-6-three-view-plan.jpg