View Single Post

Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The Final Details!

Time for the final details of this very well designed model, which has been a joy to build! Some of these details are included in the kit, others aren't. Considering the level of detail of this Orlik model, it's surprising that not all are included. Never mind, let the many Hurricane pictures be your guide.

I folded the antenna mast around 0.5mm dia steel wire, inserted and glued in a paper tube which I installed in the fuselage before, and resulting in a strong construction. The aerial is 0.3mm dia steel wire, bent 90 degrees downwards at the rear side and inserted in a small hole at the top of the rudder. A small piece of paper is wrapped around it for correct thickness.

Then comes the air cooler outlet damper, at least that's what I think it is. Small plastic rods are used to keep the plate in place. The instruction drawings were not so clear as to how correctly position the rods but internet has a wealth of information.

Other small parts are the aiming device on the nose (not included), the pitot tube (included), the retractable step (not included) and rudder cable details (not included).

Finally drops of white glue on the rudder, belly and dorsal lights to turn them into actual bulbs. To get the desired shape, let the glue dry thoroughly and then again apply small glue drops. Three drops per light .

I experimented with a bit of dry brushing, grey for the tires and dark grey for the exhaust trails.

After the last small paint touch-ups I coated the model with a final layer of matt varnish, applied with a flat brush, which somehow results in a slight satin look, to my opinion more realistic then a pure matt finish.

To end with, two pictures of the finished model. Taken late at night with artificial light, so a bit yellowish. Next time a photo gallery, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9839.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9840.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9862.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9863.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9865.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9867.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9818.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9866.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9864.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9852.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9855.jpg