View Single Post

Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,

so everything would actually be prepared so far that I could start with the gluing of the continuous spiral (Barber pole) from the 0,75 mm wide tape strip, with which I wanted to simulate the SOFI Pattern, which is followed by the Flour coating as well as priming and airbrushing.

But since I'm still not completely satisfied with the quality of the Flour Coating, I wanted to try a few things before yet. Therefore, I will do another Flour coating attempt, for what I have first looked at the local flour varieties in the supermarket.

And as I stood in front of the shelf with the many flour bags and was spoiled for choice, stood next to me an elderly woman, who somehow looked competent in terms of baking. And then I asked her briefly if she knew which flour would be especially fine-grained.
And her tip was Rice flour or Cornflour, whereupon I then searched for. Bur since faced with so many bags I haven't seen any Rice flour but only found the cornflour, a coworker could show me the rice flour.

At home I then made the comparison to my so far used wheat flour by Heimatsmühle (Type 405),

the sample of which can be seen on the right in the next picture, whose loose bulk is similar to the cornflour, with both varieties lumping a bit. In contrast, the Rice flour actually seems to be more fine-grained and trickles rather than lumping, which gives me hope for a better result in the Flour coating.

Then there was the unanswered question as to whether I should glue the Ice Ramps for the two Press. Lines before or after the Flour coating, whereby I meanwhile tend to the first variant.

But then it is necessary to mask the glued Ramps before Flour coating, which is why I tried the Maskol by Humbrol, whereby I was amazed and frustrated that the stuff in the jar was almost completely lumped, because it was probably already too old.

Here one can see a few drops of the residual liquid on a Styrene plate and on a glued small piece of Evergreen profile.

After drying, one can easily peel off the rubbery skin.

Then it was time for the preparation of the new Flour coating test, for which I've used the now no longer needed Airfix Intertank, on which I've glued the 0,75 mm wide tape strip as a continuous spiral (Barber pole).

This time, I have dispensed with the 0,5 mm wide spacer strip and glued the strip by eye and pressed on each winding immediately a bit stronger, whereby I have even reduced the distance even slightly.

This brought the strips even closer to the estimated Valley-to-Valley distance of approx. 1,3 mm.
For this complete gluing of the IT I needed about 1 h , which was certainly pure stress for my still sharp eagle eyes, whereby I'm amazed at how evenly I have managed this.

Here are two more shots in daylight.

Next to come are the 'masked' Ice Ramps.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)