Thread: Disneyland 2
View Single Post

Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Sure! I'm working to replace my freelanced mixed-media Astro Orbitor model I built in 2011:

Time and storage are not friendly to this one. Here's a pic I took last November that shows how it typically looked after being boxed:

There's just too much damage to continue using it.

So, I decided the time was right to replace it with a model I designed 100% on my own. (The ride vehicles on the previous model were designed by Robert Nava.) The Astro Orbitor is the latest incarnation in a line that started with the "Astro Jet" in 1956:

Which became the "Tomorrowland Jets" between 64 and 66 after a sponsorship change. The 1966 remodel of Tomorrowland saw the ride renamed as the "Rocket Jets" when it reopened in 1967 atop the new Peoplemover tower:

Now decidedly themed toward the impending Apollo missions:

Thirty years later they were relocated from their high perch to ground level and renamed and redesigned as the Astro Orbitor in 1997:

The "Observatron" replaced the jets on the top of the tower which by now was devoid of the Peoplemover and the short-lived and ill conceived "Rocket Rods" that replaced it:

Obviously, I'm going retro and "modeling" (and I use that term loosely) what was my favorite version, the Apollo inspired jets of 1967:

The next big part is the Peoplemover: