View Single Post

Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
As in this discussion there's no Polish voice, I'll throw in my two cents.
Let's start with the fact that in Poland, PAPER modeling almost doesn't exist. Poland is a home of CARDBOARD modeling. In Polish we call it "modelarstwo kartonowe". We don't have anything like "modelarstwo papierowe"(paper modeling). These two words just don't exist together in our language. Don't ask me why.
"Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do..." quoting Bowie.

The cardboard modeling became popular here in the late 1950s and in early 1960s. Those of you who have ever seen Maly Modelarz kits from this era should know that these models are pure cardboard. And as these MM kits printed on cardboard were first, they obviously introduced a new word to our dictionaries: "modelarstwo kartonowe".

Sure, newer GPMs, Halinski and others are more like a paper but after all those years no one's gonna change the term "modelarstwo kartonowe" or introduce "modelarstwo papierowe". I think that would make a real mess here.

What's more, the majority of Polish modelers is very conservative. They only accept GPMs, Halinskis, MMs, Fly Models and other Polish kits. It's extremely difficult to convince them to try something new, different, from other parts of the world. But that's not everything. Dave, you said: "I know its Warsaw Poland...but they do have the Internet there, don't they?". Question is not really good. You should ask: "Do they know English?, because here's the problem. From my experience I know that most of people who're 50+ now don't know a word in this language. And the fact is that the majority of modelers is 50+, at least in Poland.

The last important factor is the scale of the model. If you want to find some customers in Poland you have to stick to that:
- aircraft in 1/33 or 1/50
- civilian and military vehicles in 1/25
- ships in 1/100, 1/200, 1/300, 1/400

If you choose any other scale for your design, you can forget about Polish market. Sure, you can still find some customers but sales won't be satisfying.

For the end I've left some thoughts about painting paper/cardboard models. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with painting and puttying. What is unacceptable to me is the use of resin or plastic parts in paper/cardboard models. And it's most unfair and irritating when those "hybrid" models win prizes in paper & cardboard categories.
Obviously, there's nothing wrong in making a clear canopy from the plastic bottle for you aircraft or using a toothpick to make a shovel stick. This is just a small and creative scratchbuilding.
But what's creative in buying a 20$ resin set of road wheels for T-54?