View Single Post

Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go

I have never seen an episode of this anime, but in digging through the fandom world in search of information, I have to admit I've become a bit of a fan.

Synopsis: The Type 89 I-Go is operated by the Duck Team who attend Ooarai Girl's Academy which (like the other competing schools) is housed on an aircraft carrier. The girls were members of the school's defunct volleyball team, and became the crew of an obsolete Type 89 when their school added "Tankery" to the curriculum. Found deep in a cave on the side of a sheer cliff face, the girls somehow managed to extricate the I-Go, and restore it to fighting condition. Hoping to encourage the academy to resurrect their beloved volleyball program, in addition to the school's logo the tank was initially painted with volleyballs and the slogan "Volleyball Team Revival" in Kanji. In later episodes it has been repainted, and only sports the logos of their school and the duck team. Anyway, they engage in tank battles with other teams from OOarai as well as other schools. The schools and team members are all stereotypically themed after various WWII countries (Japan, Germany, Italy, USA, France, England, USSR), and fight in the tanks from those countries. Miraculously, no one is ever seriously hurt, and the tanks are speedily repaired to fight another day.

The model: can be downloaded here ガールズ&パンツァー(GIRLS und PANZER)|配布 along with an Italian CV33 and a French ARL44. The scale isn't stated, but printed at 100% it works out to be 1/35. The model of the I-Go is liveried as it appears most of the time in the series, but since I can never leave well enough alone, I had to repaint it to its earliest incarnation with the help of an image of a decal sheet that I found online. I reinforced much of the interior with corrugated cardboard. The fit of all the parts was excellent, and with the help of clear illustrated instructions, resulted in a very enjoyable build. Much like the anime itself, the model's texturing is an odd combination of accuracy and cartooniness, with realistic cast shadows coupled with starkly white open areas. I decided to print out scaled images of the Duck Team members to accompany the tank.

I may build the CV33 tankette next. I'll scale it down to 1/35 and will probably add some members of the Anzio tank crew as well (Anchovy, Carpaccio, and Pepperoni). Told you about the stereotyping.
Attached Thumbnails
Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-b.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-c.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-d.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-e.jpg  

Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-f.jpg