View Single Post

Old 07-03-2019, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Creeping along.

I remember now that in 1990, when I made my first version of a Lincoln Cathedral model-kit, I came grinding to a halt at the west facade. The same happens with a lot the big cathedral west fronts. In particular, Peterborough - almost impossible to work out, Wells - just plain fiddly - and now Lincoln. I shall be going there soon to get my own data but with what there is online, I have finally worked out this very odd facade. Odd, because the twin towers seem symmetrically placed from the front but seem to sit off-side from the rear view. Odd, because there is a kink in the nave roof ridge and odd because the two windows in the recessed arches either side of the big central arch don't - I know now that they shouldn't - align with the nave aisles but in fact the towers. The asymmetry of the towers has beaten me. I tried in three different drawings to accommodate this oddity but other parts then went awry in quite significant ways. I have therefore gone for symmetry and I shall create the illusion of asymmetry with crafty drawing. You know I can and I will. Above all, I have to keep in mind that this big model with many parts should at least be an easy build.
As an antidote to this rant, I have put some watercolours up as well. We don't have mountains in the Midlands or Warwickshire but we do have the gentle Burton Dassett Hills with lots of sky and sheep.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4993.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4968-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-12.-approaching-rain-shower.-burton-dassett.-190.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-19.-rocky-outcrop.-burton-dassett.-190.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-9.-sunny-morning-wroxton.-240.jpg