View Single Post

Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln Cathedral Update.

The 'Shell Guide to England' threw a spanner in the works! However, I'd much rather discover the big errors now than later on.
The photograph in that guide was taken from the popular vantage point of the castle and from there, the parapet tops of all three cathedral towers line up almost exactly ( see red line )
Using google maps, I quickly ascertained that the said vantage point was almost exactly one cathedral's length away from the west front of the cathedral itself. However, when I lined my prototype model up and viewed it from the scaled down distance, I saw, much to my consternation that the parapets did not align: they were wildly out in fact. The question was why? After endlessly checking the data, I discovered that I had made the west towers too short by 12 mm and the central tower too tall by 16 mm. I ripped off the appropriate amount from the central tower and put a paper marker on the west tower and now when I get down and view the result, the tops of the parapets line up! RESULT! The last photo shows my exhibition of paintings at Shotteswell village Hall near Banbury in Oxfordshire.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5010.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5009.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5005.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5004.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_4999.jpg  

Last edited by Rupert Cordeux; 07-13-2019 at 02:07 AM. Reason: more info needed