View Single Post

Old 07-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
"Except for a lot of modelers and self proclaimed "expurts" who are all pointing out that my model is incorrect. I see no reason why tires could not have been changed at some point in the service life of a vehicle?"

Oh dear. Rivet counters strike again.

Ignore them Dave!

I have served in an active war and I am always bemused by the rivet counters who explain what is right and what is wrong for that particular conflict!

Bemused, because most of the time they are wrong...

A tale I often tell relates to rivet counters, and the paint schemes used for the aircraft and vehicles in the conflict I was in.
  • All the standard paint reference numbers are quoted and discussed, argued and pontificated about!
  • But in real life however, someone, for the sake of military perfection, wrote the paint numbers up in the manuals.
  • But in real life, the spec'ced paint was also unavailable, so gallons and gallons of green and black blackboard paint, backed up by any old white and brown house paint was used!
  • This was topped off by the harsh sun, and people who were left to their own devices in terms of the painting, with result that everything ended up in faded mottled variations.
But "no" shout the rivet counters, "BS 318C was mixed with BS 311 and a bit of spit and it was applied to the bomb bay doors after midnight".

I suppose it fulfils some need people have. So it goes....! Even though reality is mostly different!

------------------------------------

Sgt - your Quad has an odd tyre that does not match! You are on a charge! Stop the war and proceed immediately to the never-ending source of correct tyres, and ensure they are all the same, and have the correct tread, of the correct colour and at the correct angle. This is a war man, and vehicles cannot be improperly shod at any time.