View Single Post

Old 07-19-2019, 05:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Yeah some trucks in the Canuck factory pix. Indexing on them is a bit of a giveaway :P
I was looking at the contemporary variations on tires.
i.e. How many tire manufacturers/in house variants were there at the time...? From the pix I've seen of Canadian manufacturing by Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, GM & The 4 Wheel Drive Auto Co, there are relatively few tread variations across a variety of vehicles based on the same/similar chassis options.
Likely that the designs on the FATs from multiple builders were sharing a common pool of tread patterns.

Seeing that GB FAT in N Africa with mixed tires per axle vs the mostly directional patterns shown in pix from Canadian factories, (Incl the attached Ford.) & the museum examples with non diagonal tread tells the story quite well.

The final truck is 1937. Syd Swallow of Ford Canada - Ford 15cwt 4x2 Prototype 1.

* slightly OT, Anyone who plays wargames is very familiar with the illogical restrictions found in the brains of both devs & users.
I well recall an argument between Devs & future-users about a particular much desired in-game WW2 weapon which the devs refused to include 'cos it wasn't there'.
User - my grandfather fought right there & used one...
Dev - That proves nothing we use historical databases ...blah blah
Attached Thumbnails
1/16 Scale Ford "Quad" Field Artillery Tractor Design and Build-fd1.jpg   1/16 Scale Ford "Quad" Field Artillery Tractor Design and Build-fd2.jpg   1/16 Scale Ford "Quad" Field Artillery Tractor Design and Build-fd2a.jpg