View Single Post

Old 07-21-2019, 02:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Lincoln Cathedral. The Angel Choir.

I have finished drawing the Great East Window and one of the eastern aisle windows of Lincoln's Angel Choir. The aisle window repeats along the north and south sides of the Angel choir so I shall not have to keep drawing that one.

Sir Alec Clifton Taylor, in his 'Cathedrals of England' rightly levels some criticism at this design but having now constructed it and drawn it myself, I have to marvel at the ingenuity of the architect who designed it and sympathise with him for having to overcome the problem of how to light the vast roof space above the enormous east window and yet avoid 'balancing' one large window design on the tip of another one below it. I would have been tempted to insert some surface design in the spaces at the side such as can be seen above the arches of the nave arcade in Lichfield Cathedral's nave ( Staffordshire, England ) Tomorrow, I shall draw the clerestory windows of the Angel Choir and the chapels and Judgement Porch of the same Choir.
Attached Thumbnails
Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5015-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5016-2-.jpg   Rupert cordeux lincoln cathedral-101_5030.jpg