View Single Post

Old 07-22-2019, 05:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Just my 2 cents on the whole shapeways thing, and 3D printing in paper modeling...

I am a modeler, I prefer paper as my main medium, I only buy paper kits, however I'm perfectly OK with using whatever medium I require to achieve a nice looking model.

On my current build of the Millennium Falcon, I looked into buying a couple of detail parts from shapeways, parts that didn't appear too easy to build from scratch in paper. The thing that put me off was the price. Although I finally convinced myself to buy them anyway, seeing as I was already using a free kit as the base for my model, it was the postage that stopped me in my tracks... $25AUD just for postage, for some tiny little parts that would fit in a standard envelope.

Speaking for myself, I fell in love with this hobby for many reasons but one of the big ones was the availability of free models and the cost of commercial kits compared to the prices of plastic kits. I think this is the case for a lot of modelers who enjoy this hobby.

While I would love to buy some 3D printed parts to enhance my models, I think the whole 3D printing scene still has a long way to go until it's going to reach a price point that's more accessible to the average modeler.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000