View Single Post

Old 08-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco

Following on from Phillip's recent post, here are some more Showcase models which I made some years ago, plus an equally obscure kit from the 1950s from Bancroft Publishers Ltd (Westminster Books).

The Showcase Kits were really excellent; artwork and design superb and I can't remember any problems with either fit or instructions. Roy C. Link was the designer and he sent me an account of the company some years ago which I will try to attach.

The traction engine was an early kit in paper covers, instead of the later boxes; the twisted columns were from square plastic rod, gently heated and then twisted whilst holding one end in a vice.

The Flying Scotsman I recall as being a long job to build, featuring full brake rigging, wheels made up with card spokes and rims, set edgewise to the printed face, and motion built up in card layers. Piano wire and fuse wire also featured for pipework etc.

The other Showcase kit (unbuilt) which I have is the American 4-4-0 woodburning loco and I think that there was also a streamlined A4 pacific loco and a Royal Scot; I've only seen the latter on the internet, not for sale though.

The Bancroft traction engine was a model which I had built as a child and remember being really pleased with; the artwork is really attractive and the
end result big and good to play with! This version I bought many years ago as a bit of nostalgia and there was also a harbour scene in the same series which it would to get hold of but I suspect it's long disappeared into history.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1297.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1298.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1299.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1300.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1302.jpg  

Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1303.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1304.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1305.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1306.jpg   Harris Edge Showcase models; Flying Scotsman, traction engine and woodburning loco-optimized-img_1307.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCL 1.pdf (882.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf RCL 2.pdf (533.8 KB, 58 views)