View Single Post

Old 08-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Time for a more detailed update of what's going on with this model build.

I started with the Mk1 model

This new model used some of the design and build techniques I came up with for the Donnager model, however it became apparent that splitting the model in to simpler pieces would result in obvious gaps and join locations. I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new way of texturing, sizing and splitting the model.

In the past I would split the model up to fit an A4page prior to texturing the result being the mid section of the Morrigan shown here is split over 4 pages

The new version is exported in one go and split up AFTER texturing

Same part of the ship but on a single page.

The benefit is threefold

1). I could work on more complex parts in one go removing the join locations and giving a more seamless design.
2). Textures are easier to keep consistent across matching of the model

3). Resizing the model becomes much easier. I just resize entire body sections at a time and then split it up for printing.

So this resulted in the Mk2 model.

At this stage it became apparent that the model has a few scaling issues.

The issue is that the Morrigan does not have a lot of images available and has even less screen time than the Donnager does in the show. I went back to the few images I have and did a sizing check.

Compared to the Mk2 model the most obvious issues are that while the ratio between front section length and rear section length is about correct the mid section parts, labelled 40 and 67 on the diagram above, are way to big on the Mk2 model. The model is also not correct in terms of height vs width either. It's to long and skinny where as the Morrigan is actually quite short and dumpy.

So I've gone back to Blender and done a rework of the model

I took the opportunity to do some work on alignment parts, totally reworked the mid section removing the odd angles the old version had, I also reworked the engine bell as the old version was just to long and skinny. I also simplified some of the engineering parts. It's odd because some parts will be easier to build while others a bit more challenging but the up shot is a model that I think looks a lot closer in proportions and scale to the reference images I have.

Anyway I've exported the front and rear main body sections along with their internal support structures. I've just finished texturing the rear section and will do a Mk3 test build in the next day or two and see how things look.