View Single Post

Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
1/144 Convair XF-92

After some personal time issues, I managed to get some time at the desk. So Wednesday,
I rescaled the 1/100 SNP XF-92 to 1/144. I began cutting out the parts and prepped them for construction.

Thursday, I took my youngest back to start his sophomore year of college.

Friday morning, with the house empty again, I sat down and did a quick build just to try and get back into the groove.

Construction was straight forward, no surprises. A very simple kit, some delta and circular shapes.

Not being a "leave it be" person, I measured and punched out some formers to aid in maintaining the circular shape.

As this model had no landing gear, I scratch built the landing gear. Using my punches, I again punched the
wheel details out of regular paper, just to make them a little cleaner.
With a second copy of the kit, I cut out and mounted the landing gear doors.

In addition, I also added a jet exhaust detail (internal), an intake splitter plate, a rudder actuator housing on the port side of the
vertical stabilizer, as well as a camera housing on the port side of the vertical stabilizer. The pitot tube is again, a syringe needle.

An interesting side note. This was the only airframe built. It was designed from the Alexander Lippisch delta craft of WWII Germany.
The family legacy can be seen in the F-102, F-106, Sea Dart etc.

Interestingly as well, those who remember the movie "Jet Pilot" will recognize this as the then fictional Mig-23.

It's not perfect, but it was fun, and made a great little two day build.

Lets walk around it, shall we?

1/144 Convair XF-92-port-aft.jpg1/144 Convair XF-92-port-fwd.jpg1/144 Convair XF-92-stbd-aft.jpg1/144 Convair XF-92-stbd-fwd.jpg1/144 Convair XF-92-compare.jpg

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!