Thread: My S&P Repaints
View Single Post

Old 08-12-2019, 11:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Garry –

Yes. The 246 Hikō Sentai (Flying Combat Regiment), 2nd Chutai (blue fuselage bands), bird was on homeland air defense duties June 1942-June 1943 at Kakogawa air field in southwestern Honshu on the coast of the Inland Sea. Below is an image of an almost-identical aircraft with red fuselage stripes that Richard Bueschel identifies as a 3rd Chutai aircraft flown by Corporal Koyama (given name unknown). Richard M. Bueschel, Nakajima Ki.27A-B, Manshu Ki.79A-B in Japanese Army Air Force-Manchuoukuo-IPSF-RACAF-PLAAF & CAF Service, New York: Arco 170, page 3.

I can’t identify the unit of the Manchukuoan bird, but the fuselage inscription reads Gokoku Antō Yo-gō, literally, Defense of the Fatherland Antō Number Four. It was the fourth Ki-27 presented to the Manchukuoan Air Force by the people of Antung.

Below is a photograph of it from page 155 of George Eleftherious and Kiri Domoto-Eleftherious, The Eagle of Manchukuo, 1932-1945: An Illustrated History of the Civilian and Military Aviation, Tokyō: Arawasi Press, 2011. I just happened to have this book on my shelf.

Cheers,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
My S&P Repaints-nakajima_ki-27b_3_chutai_246_hikosentai_cpl_koyama_kakogawa_1942-43_bueschel_p3.jpg   My S&P Repaints-nakajima_ki-27b_manhukuoanairforce_gokoku-anto-yogo_eleftheriou_p155.jpg