View Single Post

Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
How I Build a 1/100 Model

Some members wanted to know how I go about building my 1/100 models. This thread will be a detailed look from start to finish on a build of the S&P Nakajima Ki-27 'Nate' that Bruno recently released. This particular Nate is one of my repaints so this will be a test build as well.
None of the following thread will be a 'this is how you should do this or that'; it's purely a demonstration of how I put a model together. If you think some of my techniques and ideas are worth sharing, please say so. On the other hand if you see something you think is dumb, I'd like to hear that as well.

My choice of glue is, was, and probably always will be PVA or white glue. I've found the proper builder's quality stuff works best- it dries hard and strong. The craft type ones that I've tried are nowhere near as good. I water it down to the consistency of runny cream and apply with small hobby paintbrushes. All my models are laser printed so are a lot more resistant to any accidental excess of glue. I have built ink-jet printed models with the same watered down glue, but had to be a lot more careful when applying.
I invested (wasn't too expensive) in a pair of Titanium scissors. They're brilliant. Comfortable and SHARP. Worth the money.
No matter what subject I'm building, I always have at least a small 3-view general arrangement drawing for reference. Absolutely vital for getting dihedral, struts and other angles correct. Most of the 3-views I have are from old books and magazines that I've collected over decades of modelling. Anything I don't have can be found and printed off the internet within minutes. So there's really no excuse for the ''I wasn't sure what it looked like''.
Attached Thumbnails
How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9539.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9543.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9552.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9540.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9541.jpg  

How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9542.jpg