View Single Post

Old 08-28-2019, 11:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks Pericles and Bruno. And I appreciate the title 'Master' Gene! Up until the only thing I was a Master at was making a mess.

One aspect of paper model designs I'm always in awe of is the way designers come up with different curvature on two mating edges to produce the shapes and contours. Bruno is no exception to this and the emerging scale lines of this model are becoming more apparent.
Radial engine cowlings are always tricky and I've noticed Bruno has moved away from his old way of having the front of cowl flush with a relief image of the engine on it to an open front with engine set back inside which I suppose is more scale. To me, in 1/100 both are acceptable but both can still be challenging to construct and end up with things being round where they should be!
For the older method the very front part I keep as a single layer and attach as is to pre-scored shark's teeth tabs around the cowl's edge. The inset engine (as here) benefits from laminating the engine plate before cutting out onto 1mm or so card so it's got better edge gluing area.
The cowl rings I do as shown, with small spot gluing bottom, then top and then gently squeezing to expose the 'shark's teeth' tabs on the rest of it.
I leave an excess of 1 or 2 mm around the edge when cutting out the laminated engine plate then trimming down by trial and error. You can see how I've blue tacked the engine to a bit of flat end dowel to help maneuver it into place from the back of the cowl. I don't go too crazy with glue here because from experience flooding too much around the edge will distort the outside of cowl ( or fuselage) giving it an unsightly 'starved rib' look. Small spot dabs on four points is usually enough to hold. Allow to dry then twisting the dowel back and forth will get the Blu Tack to let go.
On this model the cowl slides over the forward fuselage nicely and checking your scale drawings will show how far back it needs to go.
Th down side of inset engines is the white paper showing on the inside of the cowl. If this bothers you (it certainly does this over-fussy bugger) before the separate engine crank-case parts go on (which I forgot to do here) I CAREFULLY paint with a small brush the offending white areas with black or other scale colour. If like me you're an acrylic paint person then don't go silly with amount of paint because you know what too much water-based anything does to paper! The last photo is a bit of a jump ahead because you can see the fin attached which I'll cover tomorrow but shows the finished cowl and engine.
Thanks for viewing and more tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9561.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9562.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9563.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9564.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9565.jpg  

How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9566.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9567.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9568.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9569.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9579.jpg