View Single Post

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
On to the tailplane (or horizontal stabilizer to some ). This is one of those parts of the build I leave till towards the end for two reasons: 1) it decreases the risk of damage by clumsiness and 2) getting alignment and 'squareness' right by using the already attached wings as a guide.

Some types like the MB.152, Douglas A-20 and A-26 and the later Bristol Beaufighters have dihedral on their tailplanes. Keep a watchful eye on your refences and get that angle right.

Like the fin/rudder, on a small model like this I dispense with the fold over tabs and cut the four components out as is again leaving a 'handling tab' on the tips which is trimmed and glued after assembly but (again like the fin) before the tailplane halves are actually joined to the fuselage.

Generally speaking, on most straight wing (i.e. unswept like jets) types the elevator hinge lines on each side are aligned with each other. I'm surprised at the amount of times on both paper and plastic models when dry fitting I've found this not to be the case. It's no big problem to deal with; just trim off small angled bits of the tailplane root until correct.

The Ki-27 is an example of the more common zero dihedral tailplane types so while the glue's setting check from all angles and adjust accordingly.

We're nearly there with this build and on to the small finishing details like tailwheel, prop and aerials next. Thanks for viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9672.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9673.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9674.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9675.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9676.jpg  

How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9677.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9680.jpg   How I Build a 1/100 Model-img_9681.jpg