View Single Post

Old 08-18-2009, 06:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The buggy

In the making of the plans for the carriages, I have been using photos and tracing out the outlines and then breaking the sections apart with cut and paste until I get the desired results. Then I pencil trace them and add in some of the missing details. Or use clear acetate and trace them with permanent ink markers (.005). The carriages are rather boxy in nature and it makes for good replication. Now as for scale, I sort of eyeball it using a known reference point. In this case I use the wheels from the stage coach and work from there, I know that they are at approximately 1/16 scale. I may do a tutorial on this sometime in the future. This method works well with flat surface items but it is hard with compounded curves.

On with the build. Finishing off the suspension system and using a guide for the space need to place the box later on. I almost forgot to place the center pole/spar. This section is thinner in shape and sometimes it is another tubular pipe. If I were to make this out of wood I would have used either a wooden dowel or a thin copper tubing. I made it thick for strength and rigidity.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse drawn Buggy-022.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-023.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-024.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-025.jpg   Horse drawn Buggy-026.jpg