View Single Post

Old 09-28-2019, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wing Sails & Repairs Needed

Realized that I made a couple of big mistakes on the fuselage.

Each one is going to require surgery. Forgot to drill and install the Bridle attachments into the fiber glass Spine.

The Bridle is the string attached to the kite. The Kite Line is the string you hold.

To fix will require two holes to be made in the bottom of the fuselage.

The other problem is the old rudder was way to big, I did not design any re-enforcement for it.

To fix, already cut the old glue/paper to surgically remove the rudder. This created a huge damaged area. Plan is to drill some holes in the spine to add a carbon fiber strip that the rudder can be glued to for support.

Printed half a fuselage "shell" that will be glued over the damaged area to hide my mistake. Then the rudder will be added as a final piece.

When I printed the fuselage, did not know that one of my print heads was clogged. The wings and fuselage are a different color than the nosecone and rudder. Main reason I used to do all prototypes in white was to check fit, this kite would look better if that would have been the case.

Different color ink, patches everywhere, you'd think it has flown and crashed already.

Here are some more photos of the fuselage while adding the Wing Sails.

Wing root glued. Notice the wrinkles and distorted paper along the fuselage? Can see where every bulkhead is, there are 8-total. Figured that they would help hold the fuselage shape when flying. Also see that did not line up wings and fuselage junction correctly, will need to move some bulkheads around to line the fuselage and wing sail tabs.
Kite Flying Time!-wing-root-glue.jpg

This photo shows both wing sails attached at the wing root.
Kite Flying Time!-wing-sails-fusleage.jpg

My favorite glue tool Monoject 412. Need more? press the plunger harder and slow down. Need less? Less pressure on the plunger and go fast. Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue inside.
Kite Flying Time!-monoject-412.jpg

Final leading edge glue photo shows the carbon fiber leading edge the paper sail is getting wrapped around for gluing.
Kite Flying Time!-leading-edge-gluing.jpg

WEIGHT: 11.8oz [334.5gm] at this stage with wings completed.

Options to lower weight for future models? HP has several lite weight papers/vellums to buy. Tracing paper is an option as well as a see thru vellum for doing really lite weight plots that can be handled and not tear.

More photos soon as the repair jobs begin. Yes, it is my version of a F106 Delta Dart. If this model works: More kites to follow: SR71 Habu (Already Printed), F86, F16, F15, F18, F22, F35, F4, B52, B47, B1, B58, XB70, ME262, ME163, already have drawings created for these. Just need to convert into kites. 3D Profile Models that use rubber band and wood dowel for get up and go.
Kite Flying Time!-3d-profile.jpg

Final photo of paper model storage area, notice kite at bottom right of photo, can see the damage from when I removed the rudder. Old rudder visable under the usb cable on top of color laser printer.
Kite Flying Time!-paper-model-storage-area.jpg

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 09-28-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Typos/ forgot to add weight