View Single Post

Old 10-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
WWII RAF markings

I am (still) confused regarding the correct arrangement of RAF squadron codes. N96HBK's beautiful build of Marek's Spitfire brought this to mind again.

To summarize Wikipedia, it says: on both sides of the fuselage, and from left to right, 2 letter squadron code, roundel, 1 letter aircraft code (XY O Z) is correct. On most decal sets, RAF squadron codes are organized this way.

However, some decal sets mimic Marek's Spitfire: XY O Z on the left side, Z O XY on the right. There are period photos of RAF fighters with right side squadron codes like the Marek Spitfire, although most read XY O Z on both sides. Sometimes the roundels are exactly opposite each other when viewed from the top, and sometimes they are staggered to accommodate the lettering.

Is this lack of consistency just a case of ground crews screwing up, or the squadron commander's personal taste? Did the RAF not standardize aircraft markings until after the war?