View Single Post

Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgr View Post
So finally I have some free time and would love to build it. would you suggest I jump right in or wait until you've made all the changes to make the build perfect?

I wish I could give a complete answer here mate. So many factors will play out on a final answer but here's what I can tell you now.

If you build the model as is just now, you will have to do a little tweaking and a little fettling but you will get a complete model that, in my opinion will look good once complete.

Is it perfect no? Certainly not this was after all my first attempt at a scratch build based on a model that has very little screen time and very few pics. I designed it to be fairly easy to build but The Morrigan build has shown me that making it easy does not always result in the best looking build or parts and their are some areas of The Donnager I believe making the build a little more complex would certainly result in better finished parts.

The Engine Nacelle design is a good example as I went through a number of designs to get those and opted for a multi part simple part design option. I believe I could rework these to give a better yet more complex final design but that's not something I plan to do in the near future.

What I do plan to do is more a tidy up of any tricky parts, any issues or clarity in build of parts and some clarity in the instructions where needed, I am hoping stuff that will make it a bit easier or a bit clearer to build but certainly nothing that is going to change the fundamental design or look of the final model.

Quote:
I also have a general question. what software are you using to unfold? pepakura? or the blender paper model export addon?
I use the Blender export plugin, it does some weird things with some of the exports at time but for the most part seems to do the job quite nicely.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the feedback on this, and it looks like I figured out the correct way to assemble it. If you want, after I'm done I can send you a detailed "after action" report. I've been taking copious notes about what probably needs to change, and I think they will be helpful in giving the final product the polish it needs to be easy to assemble and good looking. Some changes may require a visit to Photoshop to implement

Any and all feedback is appreciated. I look forward to reading your notes and seeing what i can do.