View Single Post

Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
I never did anything like this,I'll see if I can make one page sized model.That site has few moons and Venus models as well but our moon is of much more interest to me.

Looking forward to more of your build.I hope that duct tape won't add too much to weight of completed model.
Glad you are finding it interesting Butelczynski. Actually (based on the evidence of one previous large globe, namely the moon!) the tape layers make no difference in terms of weight. If it hods up without the tape then it will hold up with the tape. if anything the tape slightly helps with this aspect. However the most benefit for the two layers of different type of tape is the following:

The sellotape layer is not very stretchy at all, so (provided firmly joined to the paper) really increases the bond strength of the glued joints. The duct tape layer rally helps with the "denting problem" and is slightly more pliable. in particular, when the beech ball is inflated inside it "spreads out" the force of the ball by sort of acting as a go-between the ball and the sellotape layer.

All in all it worked well on the moon globe. So well, in fact I ,could "bounce it" off the floor!

Regards

Kevin