View Single Post

Old 10-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Mars finished

Dear all

So moving up the model it starts to "close in" (of course). I found that for the next ring it would not be good to complete the ring and then add the two layers of tape. This is because of the size to is just too far to lean down in and back under yourself. So what I found best was to add the tape as each section was glued into place. These photos show this process

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11273.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11274.jpg

And here is the ring finished

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11275.jpg

And then the next ring

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11276.jpg

And then the next ring as well as what it is like inside

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11277.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11278.jpg

This just leaves the south pole to add. However I made this into two parts, where the inner part is about 10cm (4 in) in diameter

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11280.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11281.jpg

I reinforced the final ring with ring of 1mm thick card and 15 mm wide. The final part of the south pole was mounted onto a 1mm thick card disc of 13 cm diameter. This means the South Pole "plug" can be slightly flexed inside the final ring.

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11282.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11283.jpg

So here is the final ring added to the globe

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc11284.jpg

So now the beach ball is inserted and then inflated. I used this ball which I got from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intex-Giant.../dp/B00O80ZA26

Note it says it inflates to 42 inch diameter. That is not the case. But it goes to a little over 75 cm diameter which was fine for what I wanted. So once inflated to just gently push on the side of the globe I inserted the south pole.

And here is the finished globe

Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13363.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13364.jpg Large Mars Globe (75 cm diameter)-sdc13365.jpg

The detail of NASA's image is excellent, naturally (photos I have taken do not show that).

I would say it can get a bit laborious doing all the tape layers, but, if you like globes at all, I think you would enjoy this globe whatever size you choose.

Regards

Kevin