View Single Post

Old 10-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello everybody,
so then let's go to the LO2 Umbilical, which can be seen from behind especially in the zoom in all its beauty.

Source: NASA

Observing from the front, it is noticeable that at the LO2 Feedline there is still this special Support, which is rather thin and sits directly below the LH2 Cable Tray on the Crossbeam. Or maybe it's a part of the TPS Cladding of the Umbilical.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (DDG40)

For the further separate construction of the ET/Orbiter Attachment, I have considered that it would be better to cut off the LO2 Feedline at this point and to glue the back bow with the LO2 Umbilical plate between the two Support Brackets and then to glue the thin support onto the front end of the bow. Then the other Support/TPS parts and the LO2 Cable Tray as well as the end of GO2 Press. Line will be installed.

The front part of the Feedline is too short anyway and has to be extended up to the Fairing on the Intertank.

And only after the Flour coating process and painting of the ET all lines including the Ice Frost/PAL Ramps as well as the complete ET/Orbiter Attachment will be installed on the tank.

Before cutting through the Feedline I first had to find out the geometry and the dimensions of the Support-Plate, which was not that easy, because the parts are only temporarily attached.

With the measured distance between Feedline and Cable Tray of approx. 2 mm I drew this little sketch,

which I then transfered to Styrene (0,5 mm),

then it was punched out with the Chisel-cutter,

which then was sanded.

And this is how the test fitting looks on a Feedline dummy (Ø 3 mm).

That's it then again, next follows the separation of the Feedline and the test fitting of the bow.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)